It is extremely important to protect the accidental contamination of the staff and individuals in hospital environment and therefore develop safety procedures to handle Hazardous Materials.
List of a few Hazardous Materials to be handled with care.
- Alcohol Based Cleaning & Disinfectant Solutions
- Lubricant Sprays
- Anti-Rusting Agents
- Petroleum Jelly/ Grease
- Adhesives like feviquik/ araldite etc.
List of items required to handle Hazardous Material
- Mercury Spillage Kit
- Latex or Rubber gloves.
- Face Mask
- First Aid Kit
Storage of hazardous material
- Hazardous Materials should be stored in separate locked Cabinet with proper ventilation.
- Date of opening should be labeled on the Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) containers.
- List of Hazardous Materials stored should be labeled on the Cabinet.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all the materials stored should be filed and kept
- HAZMAT consumption should be recorded after usage and submitted to the Housekeeping Department monthly.
- Hazardous Materials should be carefully handled.
- Wear Latex or Rubber gloves and mask during handling of HAZMAT
- Mercury spillage needs to be handled with special care.
- Biomedical Engineers and users should be aware of steps and measures during the accidental spillage or body contact (Refer MSDS)
- Biomedical Engineers and users should also be aware of Firefighting/ Accidental release measures and engineering controls during spillage.
- First AID should be immediately given for the accidental body contact and shifted for medical care if necessary.